DETROIT, USA: DTE Energy has reached the 2 million advanced meter installation mark, putting the energy company ahead of schedule in bringing the latest meter technology to its customers.
More than 1.5 million advanced electric meters have been installed in Oakland, Wayne, Macomb, Monroe and Washtenaw counties so far. In addition, nearly 500,000 modules have been installed on gas meters in Wayne, Oakland, Monroe, Washtenaw, Alpena, Chippewa, Wexford, Crawford, Emmet, Delta, Isabella, Grand Traverse, Mecosta, Muskegon, Dickinson, Iosco and Mason counties.
By the end of 2017, nearly 3.9 million electric and gas meters will be converted, allowing all DTE Energy customers to better manage their energy usage and bills, and gain other benefits from the technology.
"Our advanced metering program provides our customers with new technology that is both safe and secure," said Dave Meador, DTE Energy vice chairman and chief administrative officer. "This technology allows us to provide energy consumption information our customers want to better manage and lower their bills."
DTE Energy remains confident in the safety, security and benefits provided by the meters. More than 50 million advanced meters have been deployed across the country as of July, covering more than 43 percent of U.S. homes.
Advanced meters incorporate technology that allows meters to provide a wide range of benefits and services to customers. The new technology allows DTE Energy to:
* Quickly locate and reduce the length of power outages and other problems.
* Virtually eliminate estimated bills through automated meter reading.
* Remotely connect and disconnect residential service which means faster, less intrusive service. In most cases, customers no longer will have to wait for a service technician to stop or start service at their homes.
* Provide real-time energy-use data through the use of DTE Insight, a mobile energy-efficiency app that is an industry first. The app, introduced earlier this year, will help customers track, manage and control their energy usage, saving them money. Customers can download the app from the App Store and Google play.
* Reduce operating costs and thereby hold down future rate increases.
DTE Energy is working on many innovative customer service features enabled by advanced meters. Included are prepaid meters and the ability to notify customers of outages and restoration estimates.